Sunday, August 29, 2021

What happens when it rains?

When it rains while biking you find a roof to stand under and wait for the rain to pass. I discovered today that while diving anyway. A little rain is just a bit more water.

This morning, under overcast conditions we pulled away from the dock and within minutes it started to pour. We hadn't even started to put on our equipment so we all gathered under the bridge as the boat motored on to the first dive stop. By the time we arrived the shower had slowed and we started to don the equipment and as we entered the water the rain picked up again. The sound of rain on water while we were several feet down was an unusual experience. With the overcast sky, the water was not quite as light as previous dives, but as we followed Laurel as our guide, we quickly were gazing at the beautiful wall on our left as we headed south with the wall on our left. The wall looked as if it was populated with huge fungus like coral swarming with small fishes darting in and out of the crevices.

I was paying attention to minimizing the controls of my BC to improve my buoyancy and my breathing so that I could make more efficient use of my air with to increase the time in the water. I noted that I was 1/2 way through my air supply and needed to return to the boat and signaled my buddy Greg and at the some time, Laurel had indicated the we were at the turn around point. To me this indicated that I was getting better at making my breathing and swimming more efficient. 

Today's photos

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment